Mindfield® eSense Temperature | Measuring skin temperature
Measuring Skin Temperature with the eSense Temperature!The eSense Temperature is a small sensor for measuring your skin temperature with the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS). Handwarming training is an especially effective and common biofeedback method. The temperature of our hands is connected to our stress level: When we are stressed, we tend to have cold hands. Immediate feedback enables you to voluntarily increase the skin temperature in your fingers, thus increasing your peripheral blood circulation, leading to relaxation and stress reduction. Measuring skin temperature can be done at any time as long as you have your smartphone at hand. The eSense provides you in various ways with exact feedback about your momentary stress level, e.g. with measurement curves, video display and audio feedback features. For the audio features, the eSense has a headphone jack now. This means that additional to the auditory feedback you can listen to music or audio books while training your stress level down! The app for eSense is free, and allows exporting the measured data via e-mail. We also recommend using the eSense Temperature with the Innovative Finger Clip (in the Mindfield Shop). This enables a comfortable fixation of the temperature sensor to your finger.
Background Information on Skin TemperatureThe skin’s surface temperature changes according to blood circulation through body tissue. The small blood vessels (arterioles) crossing through the tissue are surrounded by fibers of smooth muscle controlled by the sympathetic nervous system. In a state of increased exertion, excitement and stress, these muscle fibers contract and narrow the blood vessels. This leads to a reduction of skin temperature because blood circulation through the tissue is reduced. By contrast, in a resting or calm state, the muscles relax and the blood vessels expand. The skin temperature rises. Conscious control of physiological stress can help you react more relaxed and more efficiently to many situations. This mechanism can be practiced using the eSense Temperature through conditioning. Detailed instructions are included with the app. Skin temperature biofeedback is easy to use and learn. It has a high success rate and brings about a general improvement in wellbeing. By training with the eSense Temperature, you teach your body to lower its stress level. You thus have a biofeedback relaxation training for your home, which you can carry out at any time. Detailed instructions for the training are included in the app!
Measuring skin temperature – biofeedback for stress
Manuals for the eSense Temperature
Link to our helpdesk >>>
Link to our helpdesk >>>
eSense Mobile AppThe eSense comes with the eSense app which you can load for free in the in the Google Play Store (Android) or in the Apple App Store (iOS). The app contains a variety of functions for an effective biofeedback training in a modern design. Essential function are the display of the measured values app as bargraph and oscilloscope, a feedback by video, music, tones, vibration and by light via a bluetooth smart bulb.
eSense Web App and SDKIn addition to the app, we have also developed an eSense web app that mirrors and supplements the app. You can use this with the account and plans mentioned above. You can analyze your recorded data (with the basic plan) or even transfer your data to a PC in real time (live streaming with the premium plan). The main advantage of this is that you can see the graph even better with a large screen and enlarge individual areas and have more advanced analyze features. You can also create your own apps with our SDK. We have also developed the eSense Web App which allows you to stream your measurement data directly to a PC.
Procedures (inside eSense App)A Procedure consists of several assembled modules. A module can be for example a picture, a video, some music, a bargraph, an arrow or others. You can assemble the modules in any length to a fixed procedure. Some contain biofeedback-functions (that means they reflect the changes in your measured values from the eSense), some don’t. With this feature you can build the perfect individual relaxation guide, a stress test, a predefined biofeedback training or use it for your own research. There are many possibilities. During a procedure, your skin response, respectively or temperature (depending on the eSense sensor you have) will be recorded. Afterwards you see your results for each module and in total and you can export those to Excel for further analysis.
Account and Cloud (optional, no obligation)You can register your own account for the eSense app and book plans. With these you can mainly use the cloud and its functions and get also access to the eSense web app at https://esense.live. With the basic plan, you can save your measurements locally and online in the cloud and thus access your measurements from all devices and from anywhere. You also get access to the eSense web app The Premium Plan includes all functions of the Basis Plan. In addition to your measurements, you can also save your procedures online in the cloud and thus access your procedures from all devices. (Attention: Technical limitations from Apple unfortunately do not allow the upload (and thus the synchronization) of audio files. The synchronization of picture and video files is possible, however). You can also share your measurements with other users. You also have the option to transfer your data to the eSense Web App in real time.
Choose the Temperature for
- Cold hands or feet
- General stress and tension
- Poor circulation
- Blood pressure fluctuations
- Increase depth of meditation
Quick User Guide
- When you buy the eSense temperature you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Fix the two velcro electrodes around your index- and middle fingers, or simply grip them tightly.
- Combine the eSense Temperature with the microphone jack of your device.
- Open the app and click “Start”, the measurement will begin
- Carefully read the instructions to get the most out of your device. The user should wait at least 5 mnutes to acclimatize to room temperature, so that a stable, balanced temperature can be determined.
- Enjoy the benefits of the Sense Temperature!
For whom is the eSense suitable?
- Mainly for home users
- For professional users (biofeedback trainers / therapists)
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- All iOS devices from version 15 or higher, which are (in part):
- Apple® iPhone® 6 / 6S, iPhone® SE / SE 2, iPhone® 7/7 +, iPhone® 8/8 +, iPhone® X, iPhone® XR, iPhone® XS, iPhone® 11/11 Pro, iPhone® 12/12 Pro, iPhone® 13/13 Pro, iPhone® 14/14 Pro or newer
- Apple® iPad® 5th generation or newer, including all iPad Mini from 4th generation and iPad Air from 2nd generation or newer
- Apple® iPad® Pro from 1st generation or newer
- Apple® iPod Touch® from 6th generation or newer
- Note: Some newer iOS devices without the classic 3.5mm headphone jack and with the newer Lightning / USB-C connector also work perfectly with the eSense. You either need an original Apple USB-C or original Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm connection adapter (not included in the scope of delivery of the eSense). Alternatively you also can use any other adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android Smartphones and Tablets from Android 10.0 (Android Q)
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones! For Android devices without a headphone jack, you can use an adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon.
- If you plan on purchasing a device for using the eSense, we suggest a Nokia G10, a Nokia G21, a Motorola Moto E40 or a Xiaomi Redmi 10 as an inexpensive entry-level device.
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
- Mindfield® eSense Temperature Sensor
- One velcro strap for the Sensor
- Free app from Mindfield via the App Store or Googly Play.
- Extensive instructions for effective training.
Screenshots of the eSense app
Magic Blue smart bulb (optional)
The Magic Blue is a smart bulb which can be controlled via Bluetooth. The color as well as the brightness can be adjusted. This enables you to use the light from the bulb as an indicator of your level of stress or relaxation in combination with the eSense Temperature.
From within the eSense App, you can connect to the Magic Blue and use it in your biofeedback session. Depending on the state of your relaxation, the bulb can show different colors or a different brightness or a combination of both.
You can purchase the Magic Blue here: https://mindfield-shop.com/produkt/magic-blue-v2/.
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence.
The eSense Skin Temperature does not need any batteries and is your iOS/Android device.