Mindfield® eSense Muscle | Assess muscle tone
Assess muscle tone with the eSense MuscleThe musculature of the human being plays an essential role in the body. Our muscles are the largest energy consumer and are responsible for about 70- 80% of our body weight. Muscle activity is manifested along the fibers of a striated muscle in the form of permanent, electrical potential shifts. This electrical activity can be measured at the skin surface in the form of more considerable summation potentials. This form of measurement is called (surface) electromyography, and the result is an electromyogram. The eSense Muscle can measure and train electromyographic muscle activity and transmit it to your computer/smartphone/tablet via Bluetooth®. Transverse striated muscles are controlled by our somatic nervous system and are subject to voluntary control. Every volitional action of a muscle can therefore be observed in an electromyogram. Thus, the tension of a muscle on 27 which surface EMG electrodes are placed immediately leads to increased trace in the EMG signal. However, involuntary reactions, such as stress, inner tension, and emotional experience, can also be measured as (tonic) activity in the EMG. EMG biofeedback can also report back the general psychophysiological tension. Assess muscle tone with the eSense Muscle is therefore very precise and simple at the same time. The interplay between the autonomic and somatic nervous systems can be depicted particularly well in the EMG. Increased muscle tone is mainly based on an increase in sympathetic activity. A decrease can be attributed to more robust parasympathetic activation. This biofeedback for stress and relaxation is very important so that you can train your body and thus actively reduce stress levels.
Assess muscle tension – get biofeedback on stress
Muscle relaxation – muscle biofeedback
Manuals for the eSense Muscle
Mindfield eSense Web App for Windows, Mac and Linux
- A PC / notebook with: Windows 10, Mac or Linux
- A functioning Bluetooth® connection on this PC / notebook, Bluetooth® must therefore be available and usable.
- A browser that supports “Web Bluetooth®” so that you can connect to our eSense Muscle via Bluetooth®. As of April 2021, these are Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Opera
Images of the eSense web app
Videos of the eSense Web App
Mindfield eSense Mobile App (iOS and Android)
You can also use the eSense Muscle with our Mindfield eSense Mobile App. You can download it for free from the Apple App Store (iOS) or in the Google Play Store (Android). It offers a wealth of features for effective biofeedback training in a modern design.
More information about installing the eSense Mobile App for the eSense Muscle can also be found here: https://help.mindfield.de/en/helpdesk/notes-before-starting-the-esense-mobile-app
Quick User Guide
- The complete manual can be found on our website www.mindfield.de under “Biofeedback” => “Products” => “eSense” => “eSense Muscle”. You can also find a demo video on our website. A short instruction comes with the eSense Muscle as well.
- Take the electrode cable set from the package. Five electrode cables are included. In black, white, yellow, red and green.
- The yellow electrode cable is the ground / earthing electrode!
- For a 1-channel measurement, please use the electrodes black (channel 1+), white (channel 1-) and yellow (grounding).
- For a 2-channel measurement, please use the electrodes black (channel 1+), white (channel 1-), yellow (grounding), red (channel 2+) and green (channel 2-).
Use the eSense Muscle for:
- Training of your muscles
- Strengthening of your muscles
- Relaxation of typical stress muscles (forehead, jaw, shoulder, neck)
- Reduction of muscle tension
- Coordination exercises
- Muscle building
Note Pro and Home version
There are two versions of the eSense Muscle:
- A professional version (Pro Edition) at full price with which EMG measurements can be performed with 2 channels. The web app, the mobile app for iOS and Android, all games and the oscilloscope are available
- A private version (Home Edition) at a reduced price with which EMG measurements can be performed with 1 channel. Available is the web app with the games and 1-channel animations, but without oscilloscope, recording function and 2-channel animations. The mobile eSense app for iOS and Android is also only part of the Pro Edition
Details Home Edition
- One channel is available (the scope of delivery of the Home Edition therefore also includes only the accessories for 1-channel training)
- A bandpass of 100-200 Hz is preset
- All 1-channel animations are available
- All games are also available in the Home Edition (as generally all games are also playable with one channel)
- On the highscore page all points from the games and animations are visible for the user
- The web app is available
Details Pro Edition
- One and two channels are available
- The bandpasses are freely selectable (20-950 Hz, 20-300 Hz and 100-200 Hz)
- All 1-channel and also 2-channel animations are available
- All games are also available in Pro Edition.
- On the highscore page all points from the games and animations are also visible on a global list of all Pro Edition users (optional)
- An oscilloscope with functions like a long time history and drawing mode is available
- A contraction helper is available
- The storage and display of the raw data of all measurements is possible
- The web app and the mobile app are available
Note: The Pro Edition is unlocked by entering a password in the options.
Two examples for a 1-channel measurement
An example of a 2-channel measurement
Who is the eSense suitable for?
- for private users / home users
- for professional users (biofeedback trainer)
While the professional version is aimed at professional biofeedback trainers, the private version enables the personal use at an affordable price.
Scope of delivery of the eSense Muscle:
- Mindfield® eSense Muscle Sensor incl. 1600mAh lithium polymer battery for approx. 12 hours of continuous operation
- Electrode cable set for connecting up to 3 electrodes (Home Edition) or 5 electrodes (Pro Edition)
- USB-C charging cable and charger
- Bluetooth® dongle for Windows, if your PC does not have Bluetooth® (please refer to the enclosed instructions)
- 50 pieces of EMG surface electrodes
- 50 pieces of alcohol swabs for cleaning the skin
- eSense Muscle Web App from Mindfield, available at www.esense-muscle.com
- eSense Muscle Mobile App by Mindfield for iOS & Android (Pro Edition, can be unlocked via password in the eSense App)
- Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training.
- 2-channel EMG biofeedback device
- Bluetooth® 5.0 transmission to PC or smartphone / tablet (Android and iOS)
- Built-in Li-Ion battery 1600mAh for up to 12 hours of uninterrupted operation
- 2 bipolar EMG inputs (CH1 +, CH1-, CH2 +, CH2-), 1 x analog ground
- 2 multifunction buttons for operating the device
- 1 RGB LED to display the operating status
- 24 bit ADC and preamplifier for each channel, native sampling with 2 kHz per channel
- 3 Bandpass filter (Bessel, 8th order) per channel. -3dB. Limit frequencies: BP1: 20..950Hz, BP2: 20..300Hz, BP3: 100..200Hz
- RMS calculation and moving average over 0.5 seconds. Decimation to 100 RMS samples per second
- 200mV differential measuring range per channel
- 0.024 μV ADC Resolution per LSB
- < 1.7 μV RMS Noise BP1
- < 1.3 μV RMS Noise BP2
- < 0.8 μV RMS Noise BP3
- Channel 1 and 2 CMRR at 50Hz and 60Hz: better -105dB
- Protection against electrostatic discharges (ESD) up to + -15kV according to the “Human Body Model”, IEC 1000-4-2, Air-Gap Discharge
- Operating mode: continuous operation
- Measurement accuracy EMG amplifier / ADC, amplification: ± 5% basic accuracy, ± 0.2% after calibration, bandpass lower and upper limit frequency: ± 0.1%, sampling frequency: better than ± 0.1% (Resonator)
- Operating range: 5-40 ° C, <= 95% relative humidity
registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or
registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is
used under licence. | Android is a trademark of Google LLC | The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Mindfield Biosystems Ltd. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.