Mindfield® eSense Respiration | Breath Training
Breath Training with the eSense Respiration!
The Mindfield eSense Respiration is a small sensor to measure your breathing with your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS). This enables breath training that you can do independently, comfortably, almost anywhere.
Respiration is related to tension and relaxation and is a valuabe stress indicator. With the eSense Respiration you can measure and effectively reduce your stress level with breath training. The eSense Respiration gives the user precise feedback about the current level of stress in a variety of forms, e.g. through measurement curves, video and audio presentation. With the eSense Respiration we have decided to measure on a dilating chest strap.
The eSense Respiration measures breathing amplitude and frequency and, optionally with eSense Pulse sensor, Heart rate variability alltogether simultaneously. The eSense app belonging to the eSense is completely free of charge and also allows an export of the collected measurement data as CSV file or PDF report (eg via e-mail, Dropbox or Google Drive). Now you can carry out your individual breath training at any time and any place with the eSense Respiration and check all the results easily via the app.
Influencing respiration with breath training
When measuring the respiration, there are two main measurements; The Respiration Amplitude (RA) and the breathing frequency, breaths per minute. The Respiration is special, as in contrast to other biofeedback parameters it can be controlled consciously. This means that biofeedback respiration training is especially suited for beginners.
Our state of mind is reflected in our breathing. If we are pleased or tense, we usually breathe quickly, irregularly and flatly. Positive as well as negative stress is reflected in this way. If, on the other hand, we are relaxed and calm or sleepy, our breathing is usually slow, even and deep.
In everyday life we rarely think of our breathing and breathe almost exclusively unconsciously. If our unconscious breathing patterns are disturbed by chronic stress, pain or other psychological or physical stresses, this often leads to discomfort and the maintenance of stress. With breathing training, you can train and improve your breathing, achieve deep relaxation states and significantly increase your general well-being. Breathing therefore plays an important role in almost all relaxation techniques such as autogenic training, yoga, meditation and progressive muscle relaxation. With the eSense Respiration you have a powerful tool to enhance your breathing in a modern way.
Thus, we can receive biofeedback about the relaxation of our body and consciously integrate the trained breathing frequencies into everyday life in order to calm the body in stressful situations and to curb the release of cortisol. Breath training with the eSense Respiration is beneficial for your mental and physical health and makes you more resilient and balanced in everyday life.
This recent article in the BBC contains more information on the positive effects of respiratory training.
Measurement of breathing rate during breath training
With the eSense Respiration you can very accurately measure your breathing rate during respiratory training and thus better understand your body and your breathing. This allows you to actively work on your stress management and relaxation. Using the eSense Respiration is straightforward, simply connect the product to your mobile device and you are ready to start measuring your breathing rate and start your personalised breath training.
Breath rate is just one of three metrics available to you for training your breathing. You can track your breathing rate with the app and thus also analyse afterwards to which stressful situations your body reacts particularly sensitively and which breathing techniques are best suited for you. Try it out and improve your breathing with the eSense Respiration!
Manuals for the eSense Respiration
eSense Mobile App
The eSense comes with the eSense app which you can load for free in the in the Google Play Store (Android) or in the Apple App Store (iOS). The app contains a variety of functions for an effective biofeedback training in a modern design. Essential function are the display of the measured values app as bargraph and oscilloscope, a feedback by video, music, tones, vibration and by light via a Bluetooth® smart bulb.
eSense Web App and SDK
In addition to the app, we have also developed an eSense web app that mirrors and supplements the app. You can use this with the account and plans mentioned above. You can analyze your recorded data (with the basic plan) or even transfer your data to a PC in real time (live streaming with the premium plan).
The main advantage of this is that you can see the graph even better with a large screen and enlarge individual areas and have more advanced analyze features.
You can also create your own apps with our SDK. We have also developed the eSense Web App which allows you to stream your measurement data directly to a PC.
eSense Respiration & eSense Pulse
The eSense Respiration can be combined with the eSense Pulse and used simultaneously. Your breathing is a stimulator for your heartbeat and therefore combining both eSense sensors can take your training to the next level.
Procedures (inside eSense App)
A Procedure consists of several assembled modules. A module can be for example a picture, a video, some music, a bargraph, an arrow or others. You can assemble the modules in any length to a fixed procedure. Some contain biofeedback-functions (that means they reflect the changes in your measured values from the eSense), some don’t.
With this feature you can build the perfect individual relaxation guide, a stress test, a predefined biofeedback training or use it for your own research. There are many possibilities. During a procedure, your skin response, respectively or temperature (depending on the eSense sensor you have) will be recorded. Afterwards you see your results for each module and in total and you can export those to Excel for further analysis.
Choose the Respiration for
- Fast shallow breathing
- Train abdominal breathing
- Balance breath cycle
The eSense Respiration with the App offers you
- A pressure sensor to record your breathing (breathing frequency, breathing depth, breathing pattern) (application always in connection with eSense skin response, as a sensor cable)
- A stretch belt that is comfortable to wear, washable and durable
- Comfortable to wear over clothing
- Unlimited recording duration
- Unlimited number of sessions and users
- Extensive statistics for breath analysis
- Breathing aid for breathing training with freely adjustable intervals, auxiliary tones and more
- Export of measurement data as a csv file with compatibility to other software programs for further analysis
- Export of curves, diagrams and statistics as a PDF report
- Set any number of markers during a recording
- Different, prefabricated training procedures are included in the app
- Free training according to your wishes with any biofeedback variant or several at the same time
- Extensive in-app help and manuals
- Regular app updates
- Possible combination with the eSense Pulse for heart rate variability biofeedback with determination of the coherence between heartbeat and respiration!
Possibilities of the App
To train and improve your breathing, the app offers a wealth of biofeedback feedback:
- Bar feedback
- Curve feedback
- Video feedback (videos included and own videos freely selectable)
- Music feedback (music included and own music freely selectable)
- Tone feedback (change of pitch by the measured values)
- Tactile feedback through vibration (only smartphones; tablets cannot vibrate)
- Feedback through color changes of smart bulbs (Bluetooth® bulb and Philips Hue products are controllable)
Quick Guide to Usage
- When you buy the eSense Respiration you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Put on the chest strap as shown in the manual and adjust it to the correct length. The strap should be tight, but not uncomfortably tight or squeezed.
- Start the app and click “Start”, the measurements will begin.
- Please carefully read the instructions within the app to get the best out of biofeedback training.
- Have fun with the eSense Respiration!
For whom is the eSense suitable?
- Mainly for home users
- For professional users (biofeedback trainers)
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- All iOS devices from version 15 or higher, which are (in part):
- Apple® iPhone® 6S, iPhone® SE / SE 2, iPhone® 7/7 +, iPhone® 8/8 +, iPhone® X, iPhone® XR, iPhone® XS, iPhone® 11/11 Pro, iPhone® 12/12 Pro, iPhone® 13/13 Pro, iPhone® 14/14 Pro or newer
- Apple® iPad® 5th generation or newer, including all iPad Mini from 4th generation and iPad Air from 2nd generation or newer
- Apple® iPad® Pro from 1st generation or newer
- Note: Some newer iOS devices without the classic 3.5mm headphone jack and with the newer Lightning / USB-C connector also work perfectly with the eSense. You either need an original Apple USB-C or original Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm connection adapter (not included in the scope of delivery of the eSense). Alternatively you also can use any other adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon.
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android Smartphones and Tablets from Android 10.0 (Android Q)
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones! For Android devices without a headphone jack, you can use an adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon.
- If you plan on purchasing a device for using the eSense, we suggest a Nokia G10, a Nokia G21, a Motorola Moto E40 or a Xiaomi Redmi 10 as an inexpensive entry-level device.
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
- Mindfield® eSense Respiration Sensor incl. replacement spring
- Expansion strap
- eSense App from Mindfield (Apple App Store, Google Play or Amazon App Store) – Detailed instructions for effective biofeedback training
- Attention! To run eSense Respiration, you need an eSense Skin Response! eSense Respiration is an additional product to eSense Skin Response. eSense Skin Response is available in a package with eSense Respiration at a reduced price. Users who already own eSense Skin Response can purchase eSense Respiration as a supplement.
Screenshots of the eSense app
Account and Cloud (optional, no obligation)
You can register your own account for the eSense app and book plans. With these you can mainly use the cloud and its functions and get also access to the eSense web app at https://esense.live.
With the basic plan, you can save your measurements locally and online in the cloud and thus access your measurements from all devices and from anywhere. You also get access to the eSense web app
The Premium Plan includes all functions of the Basis Plan. In addition to your measurements, you can also save your procedures online in the cloud and thus access your procedures from all devices. (Attention: Technical limitations from Apple unfortunately do not allow the upload (and thus the synchronization) of audio files. The synchronization of picture and video files is possible, however).
You can also share your measurements with other users. You also have the option to transfer your data to the eSense Web App in real time.
Smart bulbs (optional)
The eSense app allows you to perform biofeedback with smart bulbs. Smart bulbs can change their colors and brightness and are controlled via Bluetooth®. In combination with the eSense app, you can use the light of the smart bulbs as an indicator of your stress or relaxation level. The app supports Magic Blue and Phillips Hue smart bulbs.
The Mindfield eSense sensors are not medical devices and should therefore only be used for stress reduction. If you suffer from any medical condition, do not perform any treatment on your own and always consult a therapist.
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence. | Android is a trademark of Google LLC | The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Mindfield Biosystems Ltd. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Attention: Never use the eSense Skin Response/Respiration while you charge your iOS/Android device!
The eSense Skin Response does not need any batteries.