Mindfield® eSense Skin Response | Skin Resistance Measurement
Skin Resistance Measurement with the eSense Skin Response!The Mindfield eSense Skin Response is a small sensor to measure your skin resistance using the microphone input of your smartphone or tablet (Android or Apple iOS). Skin resistance is related to tension and relaxation and is a common stress indicator. With the eSense Skin Response, you are able to measure your stress level and effectively reduce it using biofeedback training. Skin resistance measurement was never so easy and quick. The eSense provides the user with precise feedback on the current stress level in a variety of forms, e.g. measurement curves, diagrams, video and audio displays. Thus, you can easily measure your skin resistance and immediately get an easy-to-understand feedback on your device. For audio biofeedback, the device uses the audio output of your smartphone or tablet. In addition to the audio feedback, you can also listen to music or audio books during anti-stress training! The eSense Skin Response is the perfect device for skin resistance measurement.
Skin ConductanceSkin response, also known as galvanic skin response (GSR), electrodermal response (EDR) or skin conductance (SC) is a method for measuring the skin’s electrical conductance, which varies with its moisture level. Conductance is measured in µSiemens (µS) and is the inverse of electrical resistance. The measurement of skin conductance provides you with important insights into your body’s stress reactions and your nervous system. This enables you to specifically optimize your physical condition. An individual training, perfectly adapted to your body and your needs. The eSense Skin Response measures skin conductance between two Velcro electrodes attached to the index- and middle fingers. Active measurement involves applying a very low, unnoticeable voltage to the fingers. Order now the userfriendly eSense Skin Response for your skin resistance measurement.
Skin Resistance Measurement and get direct biofeedback in stress
Significance of Skin Conductance and Biofeedback-TrainingIn a professional, therapeutic context, skin conductance training is the preferred biofeedback training method for anxiety, panic and learning relaxation. The sweat glands are controlled by the vegetative (sympathetic) nervous system and react directly to the smallest emotional, physical or mental changes. A rise in skin conductance is clearly visible under the influence of stress. Stress factors may be, for example, mental activity, emotional arousal, deep inhalation or frightening. Even the smallest changes are made visible with the aid of the app, and can be used for biofeedback training to reduce stress. A detailed introduction is included in the free app. Start now your skin resistance measurement and get immediate biofeedback in stress.
Manuals for the eSense Skin Response
eSense Mobile AppThe eSense comes with the eSense app which you can load for free in the in the Google Play Store (Android) or in the Apple App Store (iOS). The app contains a variety of functions for an effective biofeedback training in a modern design. Essential function are the display of the measured values app as bargraph and oscilloscope, a feedback by video, music, tones, vibration and by light via a Bluetooth® smart bulb.
eSense Web App and SDKIn addition to the app, we have also developed an eSense web app that mirrors and supplements the app. You can use this with the account and plans mentioned above. You can analyze your recorded data (with the basic plan) or even transfer your data to a PC in real time (live streaming with the premium plan). The main advantage of this is that you can see the graph even better with a large screen and enlarge individual areas and have more advanced analyze features. You can also create your own apps with our SDK. We have also developed the eSense Web App which allows you to stream your measurement data directly to a PC.
Procedures (inside eSense App)A Procedure consists of several assembled modules. A module can be for example a picture, a video, some music, a bargraph, an arrow or others. You can assemble the modules in any length to a fixed procedure. Some contain biofeedback-functions (that means they reflect the changes in your measured values from the eSense), some don’t. With this feature you can build the perfect individual relaxation guide, a stress test, a predefined biofeedback training or use it for your own research. There are many possibilities. During a procedure, your skin response, respectively or temperature (depending on the eSense sensor you have) will be recorded. Afterwards you see your results for each module and in total and you can export those to Excel for further analysis.
Choose the Skin Response for
- Sweaty hands
- Anxious, distracted thoughts
- Agitated mood
- Low anger threshold
- Poor Impulse Control
Quick User Guide
- When you buy the eSense skin response you can download our free app from the App Store (Apple®) or Google Play (Android).
(You can also download it in advance, but the app can not be effectively used without the sensor)
- Fix the two velcro electrodes around your index- and middle fingers.
- Combine the eSense Skin Response with the microphone jack of your mobile device, and with the velcro electrodes.
- Start the app and click “Start”, the measurements will begin.
- Please carefully read the instructions within the app to get the best out of biofeedback training.
- Have fun with the eSense Skin Response!
- P.S. You can re-order velcro electrodes in our shop, but they are durable and can be re-used many times.
For whom is the eSense suitable?
- Mainly for home users
- For professional users (biofeedback trainers / therapists)
Which iOS Devices are Supported?
- All iOS devices from version 15 or higher, which are (in part):
- Apple® iPhone® 6S, iPhone® SE / SE 2, iPhone® 7/7 +, iPhone® 8/8 +, iPhone® X, iPhone® XR, iPhone® XS, iPhone® 11/11 Pro, iPhone® 12/12 Pro, iPhone® 13/13 Pro, iPhone® 14/14 Pro or newer
- Apple® iPad® 5th generation or newer, including all iPad Mini from 4th generation and iPad Air from 2nd generation or newer
- Apple® iPad® Pro from 1st generation or newer
- Note: Some newer iOS devices without the classic 3.5mm headphone jack and with the newer Lightning / USB-C connector also work perfectly with the eSense. You either need an original Apple USB-C or original Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm connection adapter (not included in the scope of delivery of the eSense). Alternatively you also can use any other adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon
Which Android Devices are Supported?
- All Android Smartphones and Tablets from Android 10.0 (Android Q)
Your Android device requires a 3,5mm jack (headphone jack) for external microphones! For Android devices without a headphone jack, you can use an adapter with a DAC chip. We recommend this adapter on Amazon.
- If you plan on purchasing a device for using the eSense, we suggest a Nokia G10, a Nokia G21, a Motorola Moto E40 or a Xiaomi Redmi 10 as an inexpensive entry-level device.
Is there a way to extend the cord of the eSense?
- If you wish to use a longer cord between the eSense and your smartphone or tablet, you can extend the original cord of the eSense with a common, 4-pin, 3,5mm jack headset extension cord. We have tested 3 cords that have worked:
- All three suggested cords cost between £ 6-8 and are available f.i. from Amazon. Alternatively you should be able to use other 4-pin cords as well.
Included in Delivery
- Mindfield® eSense Skin Response Sensor
- 2 velcro electrodes
- Free app from Mindfield via the App Store or Googly Play.
- Extensive instructions for effective training.
Screenshots of the eSense app
Account and Cloud (optional, no obligation)
You can register your own account for the eSense app and book plans. With these you can mainly use the cloud and its functions and get also access to the eSense web app at https://esense.live.
With the basic plan, you can save your measurements locally and online in the cloud and thus access your measurements from all devices and from anywhere. You also get access to the eSense web app
The Premium Plan includes all functions of the Basis Plan. In addition to your measurements, you can also save your procedures online in the cloud and thus access your procedures from all devices. (Attention: Technical limitations from Apple unfortunately do not allow the upload (and thus the synchronization) of audio files. The synchronization of picture and video files is possible, however).
You can also share your measurements with other users. You also have the option to transfer your data to the eSense Web App in real time.
Smart bulbs (optional)
The eSense app allows you to perform biofeedback with smart bulbs. Smart bulbs can change their colors and brightness and are controlled via Bluetooth®. In combination with the eSense app, you can use the light of the smart bulbs as an indicator of your stress or relaxation level. The app supports Magic Blue and Phillips Hue smart bulbs.
The Mindfield eSense sensors are not medical devices and should therefore only be used for stress reduction. If you suffer from any medical condition, do not perform any treatment on your own and always consult a therapist.
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. | IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under licence. | Android is a trademark of Google LLC | The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Mindfield Biosystems Ltd. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Attention: Never use the eSense Skin Response/Respiration while you charge your iOS/Android device!
The eSense Skin Response does not need any batteries.